Shalom Farms is a nonprofit community farm project working with communities to increase access to healthy food and the support to live healthy lives. We work with thousands of volunteers from all backgrounds each year to produce more than 200,000 pounds of produce. We distribute this produce throughout the Richmond area through a variety of programs and partnerships.
The Farmer in Residence (FIR) is a season-long, full-time position on Shalom’s 12-acre farm in Powhatan, VA. Under the guidance of the Director of Farm Operations, Farm Manager and Volunteer and Education Manager, the FIR will have the opportunity to participate in every aspect of our sustainable vegetable farm operation and will be particularly involved in volunteer and educational groups that come out to the farm. FIRs will also participate in one or more of our city-based food access programs.
Additionally, FIRs participate in a robust professional development program including regular readings, discussions, and farm field trips to partner farms throughout the season to support the FIR in furthering their education in regenerative farming and food justice.
- Values diversity and enjoys working with diverse groups, including the ability to reach across racial, ethnic, generational, socioeconomic, rural/urban and religious lines
- Enjoys educating about food justice issues and sustainable agriculture
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Strong desire to learn and grow as a farmer
- Willingness to work hard in difficult weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50 lbs or more
- Ability to multi-task
- Detail oriented and organized
- Ability to work both alone and with groups
- Ability to take initiative
- Farming or gardening experience is strongly preferred
- Experience in a supervisory/leadership role is preferred
- A driver’s license and clean driving record is preferred