We are looking for counselors who are dedicated to sustainability and improving their teaching practice. They should have some experience with gardening, farming, and earth-based sciences. The ideal candidate will be an excellent multitasker with a genuine passion for working with and empowering young people.
Applicants should be patient, fun-loving and confident in their ability to motivate and assist campers in learning new skills and exploring a growing environment. We are committed to the professional development of our Farm Camp Counselors; this position is an ideal space to explore outdoor education or hone your teaching skills.
21 Acres is a Certified Organic farm that focuses on regenerative farming practices. We are dedicated to building awareness that soil is a vital and often-overlooked solution when combating and adapting to climate change. This position requires representation of the 21 Acres mission to inspire action to solve climate challenges by learning as a community to grow, eat, and live sustainably, and by performing the duties outlined below. This position reports to the Education Lead.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Exhibit integrity and values contributing to a successful team at all times; equally share in the fun, hard, and dirty work involved in camp activities.
- Coordinate and lead campers during all daily activities; facilitate lesson plans and flow between activities and free time.
- Thorough commitment to low-absenteeism.
- Help set up equipment and supplies needed for daily camp activities.
- Supervise drop-off and pick-up of campers according to safety protocols.
- Act as first line of daily communication with parents.
- Maintain a positive environment; inspire curiosity in learning.
- Mediate any conflicts that may arise among campers.
- Coordinate daily snack and lunchtime; arrange and cook Friday pizza parties.
- Work with the team to break down and pack up camp supplies at the end of each day.
- Follow all protocols to ensure the safety of campers and counselors; respond to emergencies.
- Maintain camp counselor emergency kits; ensure they are fully stocked with the correct paperwork, first aid, and essential items.
- Must be able to lift 25lbs, unassisted, on occasion.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 16 years of age or older.
- 1+ year experience working with 4-12 year-olds.
- Interest in environmental and sustainability topics.
- Must be able to work outside in extreme conditions and keep up with a multitude of children.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US and a valid government-issued ID.
- Exhibit regular and timely attendance.
- Communicate and interact professionally and appropriately with co-workers, the public (youth and adults), and customers.
- Be available for the entire camp season.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 18+ years of age.
- Experience with large groups of children.
- Interest or experience in food systems and farming.
- Interest or experience in outdoor/ place-based education.