Do you love to-do lists? Do you feel an immense sense of accomplishment when completing a project? Are you a super organized grammar nerd who wants to change the world? Then do we have a job for you.
Rodale Institute is hiring a communications specialist to lead project management for our organization’s outreach and education initiatives. The communications specialist will have the opportunity to play a key role in our Grow Clean Water campaign, while also flexing their communications skills by assisting with marketing projects such as mailings, events and more.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Project Management—oversee Rodale Institute communications & marketing projects to ensure timely completion and seamless execution. This could include finding out project specs/parameters/goals from team members, getting pricing quoted from vendors, finding new vendors, coordinating timelines & design with our branding agency, receiving edits/feedback from appropriate staff members, sending files to print, approving proofs, coordinating mailing lists, working with the mail house on postage & delivery, filing projects internally, and generating reports on completed projects. An ideal candidate for this role is incredibly organized, comfortable using project management software, detail-oriented, has excellent internal communication skills, and is highly proficient at copy editing. Experience working with graphic designers and providing feedback to design is a plus.
- Grow Clean Water— the communications specialist will have the opportunity to play a key role in our “Grow Clean Water” campaign for the next three years. This campaign is grant-funded by the William Penn Foundation. The goal of the campaign is to educate young families in Philadelphia about the connection between healthy organic farms and clean drinking water (learn more at GrowCleanWater.org). The communications specialist will manage the execution of the campaign, including programming, events, activations and deliverables (such as a children’s book and virtual reality video experience). Knowledge of the Philadelphia area is a plus. In this role, in addition to project management, there is an opportunity for creativity, collaboration, and marketing experience.
- Copy writing—an ideal candidate will be a strong writer and editor with excellent grammar who is comfortable whipping up text or proofreading others.
- Other duties as assigned—our team is small and we wear many hats! An ideal candidate in this role will be a communications professional who can jump in to assist with (or is willing to learn) email marketing, social media, website updates, events, and advertising.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism or another related field.
- Experience with project management.
- Extreme organization & attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, including internal communication.
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills, including grammar.
- Ability to produce accurate work under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of and interest in science, environmental issues, and organic food and farming preferred.
- Passionate about changing the world.