Dirt Farmers. Food Lovers. Land Stewards.
Marr Pond Farm is a 5 acre MOFGA certified organic farm in rural Sangerville, Maine, started by farmers Courtney and Ryan in 2016. We grow a rainbow of vegetables, cut flowers, and shiitake mushrooms with a focus on soil health and resource conservation. Our products are marketed through CSA shares, farmers markets, restaurants, and natural food stores across central Maine.
We love where we live and farm. Our area has abundant natural beauty, and the farm is a quick drive from Peaks-Kenney state park, Sebec Lake, Mooshead Lake, the Appalacian Trail, and more. We're also part of a close-knit community of new and established area farmers, and believe a vibrant community is the foundation of any sustainable farm.
Marr Pond Farm is hiring an Assistant Farm Manager who has an enthusiasm and genuine interest in refining their knowledge of organic farming, a strong work ethic and desire to take pride in their work, and the adaptability to take on a wide array of responsibilities over the course of the season.
Our Assistant Farm Manager, in coordination and alongside farm owners, will be responsible for the daily management of our organic vegetable production. They will work both in groups and independently (after training) on all day-to-day operations of the farm, and will be comfortable delegating and supervising.
This position includes, but is not limited to:
- Assisting in the management of day to day operations as well as the ‘big picture’ of the farm
- Seed starting, plant propagation, and assisting in greenhouse management
- Mushroom log inoculation and mushroom yard maintenance
- Assisting in management of hand cultivation tasks list including hoeing, thinning and hand weeding
- Directing/monitoring Field Crew, optimizing work
- Harvesting vegetables and mushrooms
- Working with a field map / bed system
- Building skills in evaluating crop readiness, communicating with farm owners about crop status
- Leading Field Crew in harvest systems and techniques including tool and hand harvest methods, providing support and feedback
- Assisting in the coordination of washing and packing to fill market, CSA and order needs
- Directing/monitoring Farm Crew, packing and labeling orders correctly
- Maintaining safe food handling practices as outlined by the farm
- Safely operating and assisting in maintenance of tractors and farm trucks
- Participating in all facets of the farm (from maintenance, to pest and disease scouting, to bucket washing), and delegating tasks to farm crew as needed
- Record keeping (planting, cultivation, harvest, etc.) and holding crew accountable for relevant record keeping tasks
- Managing time and transitions efficiently; directing work flow, completing tasks lists
- Reporting to farm owner/managers in real time on progress of work, including updates and changes
- Communicating effectively, utilizing radios, text messages, and phone calls
Interested candidates may also work harvesting, processing, and arranging flowers. All employees are expected to work at least one farmer’s market a season, and interested candidates may have the opportunity to manage a market for the farm.
*While our markets will likely look different due to COVID-19, we see providing access to fresh, local produce to our communities as essential to our local food economy, and will adapt our marketing practices as needed.*
We will begin bringing our assistant farm manager and crew members on in April, and end the season between late October and Thanksgiving. Start and end dates will be agreed upon when hired.
The right person for this job will be:
- Able to maintain a positive attitude in a fast-paced work environment
- Able to see the humor in work and life, and laugh accordingly
- Passionate about good food and organic farming
- Self-motivated & self-aware
- Willing and able to accept feedback gracefully, and adapt accordingly
- Eager to learn
- An efficient worker with good time management skills
- A problem solver
- Detail oriented and observant
- Comfortable delegating tasks and managing interpersonal relationships proactively
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions with good spirits
- Willing to learn new systems, and provide constructive feedback on farm systems when needed
- Able to lift and carry 50 lbs, stand for extended periods of time, and crouch or bend over for extended periods of time. We do many things by hand and this job can be very physical.
- Minimum of 1 year experience on a mixed vegetable farm required, 2+ years of experience preferred.
- The demonstrated ability to work as part of a team is crucial to this position.
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record are required.
- Tractor experience and comfort driving a standard vehicle is strongly preferred.
- Experience on farms of a similar scale or with similar marketing outlets is helpful.
- Management or leadership experience in any setting is preferred.
We are especially interested in applicants that are excited to become a long-term employee as our farm continues to grow. Long-term employees are eligible for raises based on performance, responsibilities, and commitment.