The Global EverGreening Alliance (The Alliance) is an international NGO which coordinates the development and implementation of massive-scale environmental restoration and sustainable agricultural intensification projects in developing countries around the world. The organisation was established by its members to facilitate a collaborative approach to the global problems of food insecurity, rural poverty, climate change and land degradation, and to develop and implement long-term solutions at a globally significant scale.
Its core members include World Vision, CARE International, Oxfam, Catholic Relief Services, Conservation International, The Nature Conservancy, JustDiggit, the World Resources Institute and The World Agroforestry Centre.
The Alliance is going through a period of rapid growth with an expanding grants opportunity pipeline from private and institutional funders across the globe. Our GIS platform for mapping and monitoring regreening and land restoration contributes significantly to our ability to measure impact and report to donors and other stakeholders. Accordingly, we are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Monitoring and Data Systems Adviser to work with implementing partners, advance development of the platform and deliver accurate and timely reporting to the CEO, Board, donors, implementing partners and other stakeholders.
In this new role for the Alliance, you will be interested in understanding the business behind the data. Your analysis and reporting will tell a story with data, making the implementing partners and Alliance Secretariat more effective and the Board, donors and other stakeholders more informed.
You will work closely with other monitoring staff, and with the grants acquisition and programme oversight staff to further develop the Alliance’s GIS platform and monitoring framework to ensure that effective monitoring plans enhance programme designs and reporting. You will be responsible for ensuring that robust policies and procedure undergird the GIS data input, monitoring and reporting.
This is a permanent full-time position, working remotely during the Covid-19 crisis and normally in Melbourne. If this sounds like you please then please apply.
Duties may include but not be limited to the following:
- Supporting the design, development, testing, refinement, implementation and maintenance of the organisation’s ArcGIS monitoring platform and related tools and apps
- Defining and implementing GIS data management and analysis workflows using GIS best practices in areas such as geospatial metadata standards, data quality assurance/quality control, and data-sharing protocols.
- Collecting, coordinating, and analysing data sets from disparate sources and in different formats to improve the Alliance’s overall ability to map and monitor programming
- Developing the necessary GIS standards and templates for the Alliance
- Implementing GIS best practices in areas such as geospatial metadata standards, workflows, and data-sharing protocols.
- Using visualization tools, assisting the Alliance and its partners with spatial analytical thinking for improved planning, monitoring, evaluation, learning, and reporting of programs.
- Assisting MEL teams and other implementing partners in planning and collection of all GIS-related data elements of monitoring, evaluation, and learning, e.g., surveys, evaluations, and baseline collections, as well as in the preparation of the corresponding maps, as required.
- Collecting geographic location coordinate data from GEA implementing partners and conducting onsite visits to complement available data.
- Preparing clear visualizations showing the results of data analysis to the Alliance and relevant stakeholders, using formats as appropriate (paper, web-based, GEO PDF, story maps, etc.).
- Defining and applying a production workflow to streamline data management from collection to cartographic output. When relevant, collecting cleaning, and processing the data from disparate sources and formatting for reporting on ad-hoc GIS-related requests.
- Arranging, taking notes and preparing reports in respect of meetings and teleconferences as required, contributing to the development and maintenance of the monitoring and data management strategy, policies, procedures, registers and records.
- Ensuring a high level of communication and close working relationships with member organisations and other stakeholders to build their understanding and capacity to use and contribute to the organisation’s monitoring platform. This may include the collection of project data, and information to support the development of story maps and other project narratives.
- Contributing to and where appropriate coordinating the development and maintenance of databases, registers and records in relation to the organisation’s monitoring platform.
- Preparing content for presentations and other materials for GEA staff
You will have:
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in geography, environmental science or other relevant discipline and/or extensive relevant experience and/or ESRI ArcGIS Pro certificates
- 5 years of relevant experience
- Proven experience in designing, improving and implementing Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning systems
- Demonstrated online and digital literacy skills including proficiency in office software, data base management, digital communication and an interest in learning new platforms
- Ability to design geodatabases for spatial data management
- Advanced analytical skills
- A track record of working collaboratively with diverse international stakeholders
- Strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to develop and communicate a common vision and foster collaboration across an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally (after the COVID 19 crisis)
- Genuine interest to work in a Not-for-Profit to make significant change and improve the lives of smallholder farmers and pastoralists and the environment.
Why Work for the Alliance?
As a leading poverty alleviation/environmental organisation, The Alliance places high value on the contributions and commitments made by our team members. We offer you a rewarding career with a positive and inclusive workplace culture, flexible work practices and the opportunity to make a difference in alleviating poverty and restoring degraded environments.