CCOF advances organic agriculture for a healthy world. We advocate on behalf of our members for organic policies, support the growth of organic through education and grants, and provide organic certification that is personal and accessible.
CCOF is a nonprofit organization governed by the people who grow and make our food. Founded in California more than 40 years ago, today our roots span the breadth of North America and our presence is internationally recognized. We are supported by an organic family of farmers, ranchers, processors, retailers, consumers, and policymakers. Together, we work to realize a future where organic is the norm.
CCOF Certification Services, LLC (CCOF) is seeking a Farm Certification Manager. The Certification Manager oversees CCOF’s farm-level certification. This position works to ensure effective implementation and consistent application of certification under the USDA National Organic Program and other organic standards. The Farm Certification Manager will address ongoing updates and clarifications to USDA NOP regulations and ensure that CCOF’s positions are clear, consistent, and communicated effectively to staff. Responsible for day-to-day department management and critical review and implementation of certification policies and positions. Supports hiring, training, and ongoing management of personnel to achieve organizational quality, service goals and objectives, and that CCOF staff are supported, respected, and valued.
Applicants must have extensive knowledge of organic certification, standards, personnel management, program oversight and the ability to work in a fast-paced office environment with demanding job responsibilities.
This is a full-time, exempt status position reporting to the Director of Farm Programs and will supervise up to 6 certification staff.
- Supports Department Director by responding to issues as they arise, including the development and implementation of any special projects.
- Oversees a team of Farm Department Certification Staff.
- Supports organizational objectives to provide service to a broad client base including small and large farms and other areas of unique client needs.
- Maintains expertise on technical organic issues and oversees technical personnel. May interact at regulatory level on certification matters.
- Supports certification staff in implementing customer service-oriented certification approach.
- Assists in hiring, training, and ongoing management of personnel.
- Assist in training and mentoring Farm certification staff to ensure that high quality technical and customer services are effectively provided to Farm clients.
- Implements changes to standards, regulations, instructions or guidance and decisions about important policies/positions on certification standards in the day-to-day certification context.
- Oversees the development of systems, tools, and/or programs to enhance efficiency, quality, and staff job satisfaction including work instructions, OSP documents, and other items.
- Resource Maintenance: ensures updates to forms, flyers, checklist, etc. for farm programs.
- Oversees that quality control of Farm Department certification work as described in the CCOF Quality Manual, including reviewing noncompliance’s and adverse actions.
- Monitors department workload, ensuring that work is completed within timeliness guidelines and organizational performance indicators.
- Provide motivational support to staff in order to complete work.
- Assists in monitoring issues relevant to Farm organic certification via ACA listserv, NOP updates, and NOSB meetings.
- May provide technical expertise and support for CCOF, Inc. Policy team in researching proposals and preparing comments and participate in NOSB meetings as needed.
- Works with Cross Departmental team to ensure consistency in certification decisions across the organization.
- Conduct annual performance evaluation and monthly one on one check-ins for direct reports.
- Manages Farm Department and Farm Leadership meetings, hosts office hours, and attends other meetings as required of the position.
- Supports discrete new business initiatives, services, or programs as directed by the Department Director.
- May represent the organization at trade shows, conferences, meetings, etc.
Please do not submit an application unless you have all of the following:
- Three or more years of experience in organic certification.
- Two or more years of supervisory and management experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of organic standards applicable to farm operations.
- Understand the requirements for ACAs under NOP accreditation, and other accreditations as needed.
- Demonstrated experience managing both people and programs.
- Direct experience in agriculture or food processing.
- At least three years of experience in a professional office environment.
- Comfort using a computer for multiple hours at a time.
- Competency in word processing, formatting, databases, and email using applications including Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Excellent professional communication skills in person, on the phone, and in writing.
- Excellent skills to organize, monitor, and track numerous activities throughout the year.
- Ability to travel throughout the year, represent CCOF at tradeshows and industry events, etc.
- Ability to logically solve problems under pressure.
- Ability to work with various groups of people and demographics.
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task in a busy environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
Compensation: CCOF takes pride in offering competitive pay and excellent benefits. The Farm Certification Manager’s starting compensation will depend on qualifications and experience.
Hiring Process: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested applicants, please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Farm Certification Manager” in the subject line:
- Cover letter summarizing your interest in CCOF and the position, and qualifications.
- Current resume.
- List of three professional references.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.