Crespell is a small non-certified organic flower farm nestled in the Catskill Mountains 2.5 hours north of NYC. We are committed to principles of permaculture and biodynamic farming. The 155 acre property has been farmed for the past 250+ years and it was those early residents who gave us our name. We currently have 1.5 acres in production and are approximately 1/3 perennials 2/3 annuals. We are farmer florists who both grow and arrange our own bouquets and also sell to area floral designers.
We offer specially curated cultivars of exceptional and unusual flowers and foliage. We are committed to sharing the beauty of this growing zone with you and all that it has to offer for both field and covered growing without using extreme measures that negate the energy-conscious efforts you and we are making to shift this industry back to local flowers.
About the Role:
Ideal candidate is
- skilled in plant propagation, hoop house and field growing,
- hard working, dedicated and passionate about local organic farming.
- we look for an outstanding work ethic as well as an ability to lead, inspire and work with others.
- carpentry skills are a major plus
Harvest & post harvest handling:
The cut flower operation is currently 1 acreannuals and .5 acre perennials. Propagation is currently done indoors but plans for a second hoop house is under way and building will begin in August or September (and we welcome your experience in guiding this). We have a small walk-behind tractor that helps with tilling, shredding (for compost) and clearing land.
The role will oversee sales and marketing opportunities to place our flowers in the hands of area florists, restaurants, businesses and homes. We participate in a bi-monthly farmer's market for which we do regular harvesting. We are hoping to build a reputation for providing some of the highest quality local blooms to designers in the Catskills, Hudson Valley and NYC. We are looking for someone to take our operation to the next level of professionalism, reach and profitability.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Meet with owner at the beginning and end of each week to set targets and asses productivity
- Crew management: manage one or two part-time flower crew members, and collaborate closely with owner on goals, approach, and vision
- Oversee whole farm planning, fertility plan, compost program, field preparation, irrigation schedule, delivery schedule and budgeting
- Implement, and adjust as needed, an existing crop plan of annuals, biennials and perennials. This includes: propagation schedule, bed preparation schedule (field and hoop house), transplanting, direct sowing and succession schedule
- Manage weeding, irrigation, and organic pest and disease control to ensure the highest quality flowers
- Actively partner with owner to discuss flower sales, admin details and devise sales targets, determine weekly availability lists, and contribute to client relationships
- Assist with basic maintenance of facilities and help maintain a clean work environment
- Maintain high energy and fast paced work environment for all aspects of day to day farming
- Initiate & maintain an organized record keeping system in the greenhouse, field and for farm finances
Skills and qualifications:
- A sense of humor and joy for farming!
- At least two years of managing a professional organic farming operation of 1 acre or more, ideally in zone 4 or 5
- Experience managing farm crews, demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and efficiently while having fun and promoting a productive and safe work environment. It is important that this person actively affirms all identities, especially those within our LGBTQ community and brings a social justice and democratic workplace lens to their communication and management styles
- Propagation and high tunnel management experience
- Experience with bulbs and tubers
- Self-motivated and able to work outside in ALL weather conditions including snow, rain, high temps, in the summer, early in the morning
- Strong manual dexterity skills in all weather
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Detail oriented and organized work style
- Demonstrated commitment to sustainable and just farming practices
- Comfortably able to lift a minimum of 50lbs
- Valid drivers license and reliable transportation for commuting to farm
- We have a flock of guinea hens and chickens, dogs, cats and parrots at the farm, must be comfortable around them