The Common Market is a nonprofit regional food distributor with a mission to connect communities with good food from sustainable family farms. We strive to improve food security, farm viability, and community and ecological health. Currently operating in the Mid-Atlantic, the Southeast, and Texas, The Common Market is expanding to other U.S. regions to build a nation of vibrant regional food systems.
Since 2008, we've aggregated and distributed over $50 million of local foods from over 200 sustainable small and mid-scale farmers. We partner with regional farmers and communities through institutions (public and private schools, hospitals, early childcare centers, universities, senior centers, government agencies) to rebuild our local food economies, enabling rural and urban communities to thrive.
Essential Job Duties:
The Deputy Director will work in direct support of the Chapter Director for the Southeast and operations staff in order to achieve chapter level goals and objectives while advancing the organization’s mission. Day to day responsibilities will include a combination of the following activities:
- Chapter Leadership. Strategic oversight of all aspects of Southeast Chapter operations. Provide periodic reports and make presentations to the Chapter Director and Board of Directors. Assess need for operational, staffing, and policy development and/or enhancement and then implement on a scale and timeline appropriate for the opportunity.
- Budgeting. Prepare and manage operating budget and monitor financial results of all controllable lines on the profit and loss statement, including but not limited to average order size, shrink, spoilage, supplies, cost of goods sold (mark-up), trucking costs and gross profit.
- Key Performance Indicators. Monitor weekly/monthly KPIs and suggest changes to improve operational performance.
- Team Leadership. Be a strong developer of others. Have established a track record of staffing, training and coaching of diverse and effective teams.
- Technology. Have an advanced understanding of Microsoft applications and a workable understanding of client management, inventory management and hiring/payroll processing software applications. Successful candidate must be able to master new applications quickly and be able to teach others.
- Farmer relations. Lead farmer relations work in identifying regional farms that support our mission and profitability objectives; setting up producers in Salesforce; as well as purchase orders in FoodConnex in accordance with crop plan. Ensure prompt farmer payments in support of our commitment to improve farm viability.
- Inventory. Oversee inventory processes from receiving to ultimate delivery to customers. Conduct physical inventory. Implement measures to ensure accuracy in the inventory management system. Reconcile PO/ Salesforce Receiving Log and Farm Invoices and post Purchase Orders. Minimize shrink and spoilage.
- Production. Provide direction and support for wholesale pack and box assembly teams.
- Fleet management. Ensure CMSE's 3 refrigerated box trucks are operating safely, including monitoring temperatures, driver pre-trip inspections and truck preventative maintenance program. Oversee truck routing, driver training and driver tablets.
- Customers. Ensure Availability List reflects current pricing and availability. Manage process of calls to existing customers to assess the need for replenishing inventories. Improve order entry, review for correct pricing, overallocations, substitutions, quantities, and shipping data. Provide ongoing support and troubleshooting on existing accounts including advising customers on changes in availability and order modification, resolving customer complaints related to quality/ quantity, potential delays or routing requests, and routine check-in calls to solicit feedback. Communicate customer feedback to team and work collaboratively to create solutions. Enter cases into Salesforce and ensure appropriate follow-up.
- Food safety plan. Operate facility in a manner consistent with our Food Safety Plan. Prepare for annual audit. Lead Recall, Crisis Management and Food Defense/ Food Fraud teams.
The successful candidate has proven capacities that include:
- Clear understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and practical application to food systems.
- Depth of knowledge relating to regional food systems, small/mid-scale agriculture, “ag in the middle,” sustainable/regenerative agriculture, etc.
- Depth of knowledge relating to community food security/ food sovereignty, community food access, institutional food procurement strategies, and other community-driven, demand-side solutions.
- Proven cross- functional/departmental capabilities and experience.
- Ability to understand and solve for complex business issues.
- Strong knowledge of locally grown products and understanding of sustainability initiatives.
- Demonstrated technical capabilities including inventory management and Salesforce. Strong MS Office skills (specifically Excel).
- Ability to successfully lead working groups.
- Works independently.
- Is outgoing and embraces proactive, direct communication in person and through a variety of media.
- Demonstrated ability to see the big picture.
- Is organized and thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Is a clear, collaborative communicator with ability to connect easily with diverse cultures.
- Possesses strong ability to multi-task and excels in balancing the needs of multiple departments while supporting our customers and/or farmers.
- Is extremely attentive to detail and ensures accuracy in all work assignments.
- Is a team-player with a positive attitude and ability to handle difficult situations tactfully.
- The qualified candidate will have the flexibility to work variable schedules, including early mornings and weekends when needed.
- Must have the ability to work in an environment where frequent interruptions may occur. Must be able to work comfortably under pressure.
- Must be able to drive, and periodically travel for work.
- May be required to move/lift up to 40 pounds.
- Salary commensurate with experience level
- 2 weeks annual PTO
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
- 100% Employer Paid Life AD&D and LTD insurance
- Bi-weekly Farm Share “CSA” box - Fruit & Vegetable Share
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with 100% employer match up to 3% annual salary