Reef Catchments is a regional community not-for-profit business focused on enhanced use and management of natural resources (land, water, vegetation and ecosystem health) while maintaining a viable regional community.
Reef Catchments currently has several opportunities existing within the Sustainable Agricultural team. The program aims to foster sustainable production; support innovation in rural and agricultural systems; enhance land manager skills and capacity development; actively improve integration and planning across rural sector operations (regional scale); and generate improved condition of the natural resources in the rural and agricultural landscape.
We are looking for team players with positive and engaging personalities. In return, we offer a flexible and positive work environment, with excellent conditions, and an opportunity to enhance and build your skills in multiple areas.
Reports to: Coordinator - Sustainable Agriculture.
Key Result Areas/Accountabilities for the position:
- Provide agricultural extension (cane) and technical support to growers in the Mackay Whitsunday sugarcane growing regions, and other Reef Catchments programs.
- Establish and maintain productive relationships with organisations and individuals that have an interest in agriculture systems, particularly cane.
- Develop networks and maintain links with various natural resource management stakeholders including community groups, industry organisations, local government, interest groups, State & Commonwealth agencies, relevant to achieving enhanced natural resources management outcomes for the Mackay Whitsunday region.
- Develop communication, awareness and extension components of the various agricultural industries and programs led by Reef Catchments in the Mackay Whitsunday Region.
- Communicate effectively, and develop communication products, for a wide audience i.e. landholders, industry, and Government.
- Collate outputs and outcomes achieved by the agriculture programs for the production of communication products and milestone reporting to funding providers.
- Maintain project and landholder data management systems to produce data products that meet reporting and planning needs of Reef Catchments Sustainable Agriculture programs.
- Provide quality control for project related landholder, property and project planning and reporting documentation.
- Collect and manage data, practices and spatial mapping associated with on farm practice change.
- Participate in promotions, training, workshops and field day activities.
- Identify and assist in developing proposals and funding applications that relate to sustainable agriculture in the Mackay Whitsunday region.
- Ensure that contracted milestones and activities are completed on time and according to budget and lead the reporting of outputs and outcomes back to key government and private investors and stakeholders.
- Conform to all Reef Catchments policies, procedures and operation processes.
- Work towards and support a safe, equitable and harassment free workplace.
- Comply with WH&S management systems, including statutory obligations.
- SC1 - Tertiary qualification in a relevant field such as Agriculture, Applied Science or Natural Resource Management.
- SC2 - Demonstrated skills in data collection and management systems to produce data products to meet reporting and planning needs.
- SC3 - Good understanding of agricultural systems, particularly sugarcane, in tropical environments and the impact of agricultural land uses on water quality including the agricultural land use and management practices required to deliver improved water quality and natural resource outcomes in tropical environments.
- SC4 – Demonstrated skills in the development and implementation of agricultural improvement programs and projects including proposal writing, budgeting, reporting, contract and contractor management.
- SC5 - Demonstrated project management skills including the ability to coordinate multiple projects and budgets.
- SC6 - Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate with influence to a diverse client base including farmers, agricultural industry groups, government and contractors.
- SC7 - Current manual Driver’s Licence.