Situated on more than 270 acres of Orange County’s extremely fertile black dirt, the Chester Agricultural Center is conserving prime farmland, making it available on long-term affordable leases and putting it to its best use: growing clean, local food using organic management practices.
The CAC is working to build a stronger and more equitable regional food system, and a regenerative thriving local economy. Area farmers, leaders, values-aligned non-profit organizations and other stakeholders have stepped forward in support. The Center promotes greater awareness among farmers, workers, social investors and the community of the challenges and opportunities in the current farm-labor economy.
About the Position:
The Farm Manager will be responsible for day to day farming operations and construction projects at Chester Agricultural Center LLC. In coordination with the Chester Agricultural Center Inc.’s Director and advisors, the Farm Manager will create and implement clear and transparent policies and procedures, promote a compassionate and safe environment for employees, contractors, lessees, and guests. This is a full-time position requiring a flexible work schedule that reflects the growing season.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage overall operation of the Chester Agricultural Center, including maintenance of hay and fallow cropland, ecological stewardship, whole farm planning, and upkeep and maintenance of facilities and equipment
- Align all farm operations with the Chester Agricultural Center long-term goals in collaboration with the Inc.’s Director
- Develop and implement short- and long-term work plans.
- Prepare “Facilities Manual” to document farm operations
- Manage overall development and construction projects and work with contractors to implement agreed plans
- Develop policies and procedures that reflect a compassionate and safe environment
- Develop policies and procedures that reflect ecological management of the farm
- Provide oversight of the Lessees at Chester Agricultural Center and ensure that lease agreements are respected and upheld
- Provide on-boarding for new farms
- Ensure timely payments of expenses and taxes
- Provide compliance with all Federal, State and local regulations
- Oversee maintenance and repair of farm buildings, roads, fences and equipment
- Promote and maintain good relationships and team approach with lessees, contractors, subcontractors, neighbors and partners
- Perform other duties as assigned
Leadership and Management
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the long-term objectives of the Chester Agricultural Center
- Supervise staff (if applicable)
- Manage clear agreements and protocols with contractors
- Preferred Ag tech College bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in related field
- Strong commitment to the long-term goals of the Chester Agricultural Center
- A self-starter who is able to learn on the job, prioritize, and multi-task
- Strong communication, listening, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent critical thinking and organizational skills
- GIS/GPS mapping ability preferred
- Willingness to have a flexible work schedule that might include weekend duties as required
- Microsoft Office suite
- Demonstrated good written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated good collaborator and communicator with interpersonal and dispute resolution skills
- Knowledge of the Northeast farming community, with Hudson Valley and Black Dirt knowledge preferred Required Experience
- Minimum of 1year of experience in effectively managing a farming operation, preferably organic or biodynamic
- Demonstrated success in the effective management and supervision of staff
- Experience with upkeep and maintenance of facilities and farm equipment
- Knowledge and experience in the maintenance of crop production records required for organic certification, soil health, and other production related documentation
BIPOC farmers are encouraged to apply.