At Grow Compost of Vermont, we’re passionate about our community – our farms, our neighbors, and the natural world. We work closely with local farms to transform food scraps, and other nutrient-rich, organic material into rich, fertile soil for the growth of verdant space, the production of clean energy, and the health and well-being of the earth. With a staff of 10 and a fleet of trucks we serve 400 compost pick-up customers, both residential and commercial. We’re growing fast as a result of Vermont’s new compost law!
About the Job
We’re seeking an entrepreneurial General Manager to direct our hauling operation, supervise staff, manage community partnerships and relationships, and build our customer base. The job will be roughly 30% on-site (currently Waterbury, Vermont), 50% home-office, and 20% customer visits. There will be occasional out of state travel.
This is a new position. 10 years old and growing, we’re at a stage that is dynamic and fast-moving. While some structure and systems are in place, more needs to be developed. The General Manager will be an agile leader who is able to identify and implement next steps for operational excellence and work with managers and employees to understand and embrace change, all the while keeping up with best practices in organic waste management and hauling.
The business has three components: This job will be responsible for Grow Hauling only.
- Grow Hauling - Serving 400+ compost pick-up customers, both residential and commercial. Based in Waterbury Vermont, we currently have a staff of ten and handle pickups with six 10-15 cubic yard-capacity trucks. We’re growing fast as a result of Vermont’s new compost law!
- Grow Transfer - In partnership with the Upper Valley Solid Waste District in Vermont, founder Scott Baughman manages (and Grow Hauling delivers 30-40 cubic yard trailers to) the Greater Upper Valley Solid Waste Management District’s Transfer Station in N. Hartland, Vermont
- Grow Soil - Located in Waterbury and managed by Scott, we turn 500 tons of food waste into compost every year, for retail and wholesale customers.
Operations & Trux Haul-it Software
Ensure scheduling, routing, pricing, and invoicing are smoothly and efficiently managed, integrated, and connected through Trux Haul-It software (for which there is solid tech support). Expand the effective use of Trux as the needs of the business evolve. Note: Trux was new to Grow Compost as of August 2020.
Workforce Development and Supervision
- Hire key personnel
- Supervise Team Leads: Salesperson, Driver Manager, Route Manager, Bookkeeper, Head Mechanic, and others as the business grows
- Develop and implement incentive programs to attract quality drivers
- Support Team Leads with best-practice supervision, hiring and training approaches
- Work with Leadership Team to develop annual budget and monitor projected-to-actual on a monthly basis
Team Cohesion and Company Culture
Lead weekly calls and meetings to:
- Connect leadership team and home-office staff
- Develop and maintain a productive, healthy, high-functioning and positive company culture
Truck Maintenance and Storage Facility
- Evaluate current facilities for efficiency, the need for administrative offices, truck maintenance, and parking.
Work with Driver Manager and Route Manager to...
- Oversee workforce
- Recruit, hire, and fire staff
- Monitor and manage overtime cost-effectively
- Standardize processes for DOT compliance and inspections
- Oversee routing to optimize routes throughout the region
- Manage truck flow at Waterbury and North Hartland facilities
- Work with the office staff as needed to implement driver data collection process and standardization
- Oversee software implementation on trucks to gather real-time data
- Develop and sustain safety program
- Ensure all staff follows safety protocols
- Hold regular safety meetings
Work with Head Mechanic to…
- Ensure maintenance standards and schedules are followed
- Assess new equipment needs
Work with Sales Manager to...
- Oversee customer satisfaction and manage issues when they arise
- Establish relationships with existing large accounts
- Develop sales goals
- Identify, respond to, and sell to new large accounts
Work with Bookkeeper to…
- Ensure invoicing is timely
- Ensure accuracy of accounting entries
- Review income and expense reports
- 5 or more years of business management experience required
- 2 or more years in the waste management industry required
- Organic material handling experience desired
- Demonstrated interest in composting
- Understands trucking and truckers
- Comfortable with leadership and decision making
- Politically savvy, relative to Vermont’s solid waste districts and competitor trucking relationships
- Able to both work independently and enjoy working as part of a team
- Friendly, easygoing, and able to flex with changing conditions, responsibilities, and workflows as the business grows
- Accurate and detail-oriented
- Hard-working and reliable
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods, both at a desk and on work sites
- Must have a vehicle for local and regional business travel
- Trucking experience a plus