At Cooks Venture, we utilize four critical components of regenerative food systems – ruminants, monogastrics, feed crops, and vegetables – to do exactly that. We build better communities through farming, and grow tastier food by applying sound science and lots of practice. Vote with your dollar: buy regeneratively grown food to build a food system that will save the planet.
We work with scientists who measure soil carbon, nutrition, and other biological factors on our own 800-acre farm, and on the farms that grow feed for our livestock. We track year-over-year metrics to determine how our farming practices are impacting soil health, biodiversity, and pest populations, and make adjustments accordingly. Leading climate scientists agree that if this process was followed by all farmers globally, climate change could be reversed.
We are looking for a self-motivated Regenerative Land Manager seeking long-term employment. This position will provide a stable and long-term environment for those willing to apply themselves.
About the role:
The Regenerative Land Manager's duties will be to assist in the daily farm tasks, including (but not limited to) proper operation and maintenance of farm machinery, tractors, tools, and agricultural equipment is required. Must know how to drive farm tractors. Duties may also include building maintenance and repair, hauling and laying hay in critical areas, various project work including land clearing, brush hogging, mowing yards/pastures, etc.
The Regenerative Land Manager will perform the following main tasks:
- Assist the day to day operation and maintenance of pastured poultry operations
- General grounds maintenance and planning as directed
- Operate and maintain farm equipment
- Soil and hydrology observation and planning
- Pasture seeding and irrigating
- Tree planting and maintenance, including tree cutting and trimming as needed
- Mowing and weed eating
- Light carpentry
- Project management of special habitat and enrichment projects
- Implements and tracks ground and project progress over time
- Share knowledge and assist partner farmers in solving ground challenges and creating living system habitat enrichment
The qualified candidate will assist in the management of the farm in a regenerative manner.
Employment will be full-time and require regular outdoor and physical labor regardless of weather conditions, with some work expected on weekends. Must be flexible with work schedule, as this is not a typical 8 – 5 position.
All positions will require the ability to perform tasks without direct oversight while maintaining a high degree of productivity.
Characteristics that support your success:
You are professional in all interactions with guests, vendors, employees, and customers. You remain calm under pressure and can flex your work plan as needed. You enjoy creativity, building living systems, believe there is no task too small, and aspire to be the "go-to person" in your environment.
- Passionate about regenerative agriculture and food system change
- A problem-solver
- Maintain a calm demeanor when expectations change, or things don't go as planned
- Thirsty for knowledge and continuously improve yourself
- Great attitude
Qualifications required for your success:
- Maintain the integrity of pastures and land
- Ability to safely operate vehicles and heavy farm machinery such as tractors, riding mowers, brush hogs, and competency at hauling trailers
- Perform regular and directed field maintenance, clear brush, seed pasture as needed, and set up, adjust, repair, and clean pasture irrigation systems
- Haul, store, and move hay using tractors and trailers
- Ability to safely operate farm equipment such as portable power tools, trimmers, and chain saws, electrically operated drills and saws, weed eaters
- Ensures that farm machinery, equipment, and tools are operational by performing routine and preventative maintenance and cleaning farm machinery, equipment, and tools and making minor repairs within demonstrated capability
- Maintain and repair buildings, structures, and roads
- Basic carpentry and construction
- Computer skills and digital skills, including Google Earth, photo-taking, file and folder management, etc.
- Maintain a culture of safety
- Keep property guest-ready level at all times
- Regular communication and meetings with Regenerative Feed Manager and Farm Manager
- Collaborate on developing and executing weekly work plan; report on progress and blockers during daily/weekly staff meetings to assess and adjust, alert manager to blockers in progress as necessary
- Other duties as directed by the Regenerative Feed Manager
- Professionally represent the farm at all times, both on and off the farm
- Ability to work well independently as with others
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Is a self-starter with a strong work ethic and positive attitude
- Assists wherever needed to help with farm operations – including special events
Additional helpful knowledge/experience includes:
- Knowledge of regenerative agriculture principles
- Basic soil health understanding
- Permaculture Design
- Knowledge with maintaining roadways