The Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community in Prior Lake Minnesota is looking for a Farm Laborer to join our team in our Wozupi Tribal Gardens!
Owned and operated by the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community, Wozupi Tribal Gardens grows certified-organic vegetables, herbs, fruit, and plant starts. The farm also produces maple syrup and manages bee colonies for plant pollination.
The Farm Laborer plants, cultivates, and harvests field crops. He shall assist with honey collection and maple syrup operations as well as works with volunteers and youth.
Performs one or more of the following duties:
- Assist in all aspects of a small farm-to-market operation focused on meeting the needs of the SMSC.
- Work in multiple environments including greenhouse, field, high tunnel, pack shed, maple sugar bush, orchard and office.
- Assist with all manner of farm tasks including, planting, seeding, weeding, cultivating, harvesting, processing, packaging, landscape maintenance, and orchard pruning.
- Use machinery & equipment safely and efficiently, including trucks, tractors, rototillers, walk-behind tractors, vegetable washers, flame weeders and power tools, knifes, garden seeders, and other hand tools.
- Assist in farm-related record keeping and documentation.
- Assist with volunteers and youth groups.
- Interact with customers and other SMSC departments.
- May assist in the collection, processing or delivery of maple syrup.
- May assist in the collection, processing or delivery of honey.
- One year crop production experience, to include organic farming experience.
- Ability to operate farm machinery.
- Valid driver's license required with a good driving record.
- On feet or standing 90% of time.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Outside work 90% of time. As related to climate conditions. May work in excessive heat in the summer in a non-climate controlled environment.