Hilltop Hanover Farm & Environmental Center is a working farm and educational center located on 60 acres in Yorktown Heights, NY. Using organic practices, we grow vegetables, herbs, and flowers for a market-style CSA, on-site farm stand, and wholesale clients.
The farm offers programs that teach and inspire our community about sustainable agriculture, environmental stewardship, and watershed protection. Our mission is to provide our community with healthy produce and to teach others to do the same. Our farm is open to the public free of charge.
About the Job
Supervised by the Farm Director, the Farm Manager is responsible for the management, planning and oversight of our sustainable vegetable farm, which includes the production of vegetables, herbs, and flowers on 3-8 acres. This is a production oriented position, but because we are open to the public and regularly host school programs and events, the successful candidate will also be flexible in scheduling daily tasks to accommodate other farm programs.
We will be expanding our environmental programs over the next several years, and we seek a Farm Manager that is excited to help integrate our working farm with broad-based environmental education objectives, including active demonstration of organic agriculture best practices and continual improvement of our production systems while maintaining an ethic of long-term land stewardship.
- Supervise, plan, schedule, and participate in all aspects of our produce operation: seeding; greenhouse management; cultivation and field prep; transplanting; weed and pest management; harvesting, washing, and marketing crops
- Develop crop production plans for greenhouse, high tunnel, and field to cultivate a diverse and dependable revenue stream through our CSA, retail farm stand, wholesale, and U-Pick
- Monitor and be accountable for the progress of all field work
- Train and work alongside the farm crew as needed to ensure timely completion of daily tasks
- Manage all aspects of farm record-keeping, including harvest records, sales, farm expenses, and annual budgets
- Order materials and supplies; maintain inventory and keep records of same
- Use mechanized farm equipment; recommend new implements and/or methods to improve productivity, increase quality of produce, and maintain long-term soil health
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized work environment
- A minimum of 3 years of experience farming for commercial markets on 4 acres or more
- Farm management experience or 2-4 years of supervisory work in a related field
- Experience planning and managing work schedules; experience training staff
- Demonstrated knowledge of organic farming practices including crop rotation, cover cropping, composting, IPM, and soil fertility management
- Experience meeting production targets and revenue projections
- Demonstrated ability to stay informed of current research and/or implement new methods in sustainable agriculture
- Ability to safely operate tractors and other farm equipment
- Comfortable working with databases or farm-planning software, POS retail/inventory management software, and email marketing apps
- Ability to lead and work under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Comfortably able to lift 50lbs
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience with retail markets and farm marketing is a plus; we are looking to grow our on-site farm stand
- Record-keeping for organic certification
- Familiarity with variety trials and experimental design
- Knowledge of natural lands management and ecosystem services
- Proficiency in season extension practices
- Livestock and pasture management experience desired but not required