Belltown Farms is investing US$100m into a sustainable agriculture strategy, buying large parcels of American farmland, converting the land to organic production and operating it in line with regenerative principles. The broader Belltown group has successfully raised and invested ca.$500m into sustainable infrastructure in the US and UK since 2013.
Belltown is recruiting for its second Regional Head of Operations to oversee the operations of 4 to 5 of its farms. Farms will be primarily in the Eastern Seaboard and the Midwest.
As Regional Head of Operations, you will be responsible for the operations on each of the farms, including but not limited to:
- Farming Team: Hiring and managing farm managers and supporting teams for each farming hub; responsible for professional development, culture, quality assurance, health and safety
- Organic Certification: Supporting each farm achieve and maintain USDA organic certification and other applicable regenerative certifications (e.g. Grass Fed / Pasture raised, bio dynamic) that may deliver a premium for Belltown Farms output.
- Operating Plan: Working with farm managers to develop detailed operating plans for each farm, covering transition to organic, crop rotation, inputs, fertility, machinery and equipment, activity planning, regulatory reporting, grain storage, and farm safety.
- Regenerative Farming: thought leadership on regenerative approach to farming, across soil health, seed, animal welfare, biodiversity, carbon emissions and community.
You will report to the CEO and present quarterly at Board meetings, and on an ad hoc basis at investment committee meetings.
As the ideal candidate for this position, you will have the following experience and skills:
- Knowledge of diverse crops (grains, legumes, vegetables, livestock) and familiarity with various different soil types and geographies across the US;
- Experience managing large-scale (1000s of acres) organic farming profitably;
- Enthusiasm for regenerative agriculture.