Carman Ranch Provisions is one of the most exciting regenerative agriculture businesses in the country. We sell grassfed beef and other meticulously sourced protein from a small group of premier producers in the Northwest. Our customers seek to bring positive change to the food system through the power of their spending and our visionary investors support a food system revolution that improves the health of farms, farmers, customers, and the world as a whole.
Carman Ranch Provisions is developing and growing a direct-to-consumer (DTC) program to augment our wholesale business and more effectively support our ranchers and our mission. Our DTC program offers Carman Ranch grassfed beef and more directly to home consumers via home delivery or local “drop-site” pickups. The DTC program is relatively new (started in April 2020) and is still evolving and growing.
About the Job
Are you a passionate leader who wants to drive a movement in sustainably sourced, farm-raised, local food? Have you helped build a movement around a truly authentic and inspiring consumer-facing brand? We are looking for a results-driven trailblazer to join our leadership team who has demonstrated he/she can set and execute a comprehensive business development and marketing strategy for our growing DTC business.
While we’ve been around for several years, we are still very much a scrappy startup. We need an independent, self-directed leader who is both strategic and willing to get his/her hands dirty. Our current DTC marketing strategy is largely driven by community outreach and collaboration rather than competing directly against national e-commerce brands. We hope to test this model as well as employ more traditional techniques to acquire several hundred weekly subscribers in the next 12-16 months. We operate with a lean team and therefore need a versatile professional who is willing to guide and execute across a number of functions. This role is based in Portland, OR. We expect a combination office/warehouse/remote work for the position.
- Be accountable for helping to set and achieve sales goals by designing and executing targeted marketing strategies.
- Develop a multi-pronged marketing and partnerships strategy incorporating local marketing, digital marketing and partnerships to grow our loyal customer base in the Northwest
- Develop marketing partnerships with aligned businesses, non-profits, corporations and others that expand our distribution and bring new customers
- Oversee the development of a cohesive brand look, feel and message.
- Oversee external creative partners to develop marketing collateral
- Oversee and coordinate with customer service and content development team members
- Allocate marketing spend and build a strategic plan for acquisition, engagement and retention
- Work with finance / analytics team members to monitor and track impact of marketing activities and ensure that they are driving revenue and growth
- Analyze and apply insights from qualitative and quantitative data related to physical and digital marketing performance. Sharpen our marketing messages, ensuring consistency across all channels
- Design and execute on promotions and events
- Work cross functionally to drive growth across the organization
- Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years marketing/leadership experience in e-commerce, grassroots marketing, agency, or operating role
- Passion for innovative and differentiated design
- Deep experience in digital and physical and event-based marketing – across paid and unpaid social, Google Analytics, Shopify, direct mail, print
- Experience with referral marketing and affiliate marketing strategies
- Experience with email marketing strategies
- Subscription e-commerce, and/or consumer goods business experience desired
Valued Attributes and Skills
- Comfort using data and metrics to drive strategy and adjust
- Knowledge of meat and culinary background
- Understanding of marketing as a valuable tool to drive sales
- Willingness to step outside of core role and do what’s required to deliver on the Company’s mission
- Comfort with the ambiguity that comes with a fast-paced experimental culture
- Sleeves rolled up and willing to jump in to do whatever needs to get done
- Passion for our mission and sustainable agriculture