Rooted in the Jewish vision of creating a more environmentally sustainable, socially just, and spiritually connected world, Eden Village Camp is dedicated to providing campers with an incredible summer experience while empowering them to promote a more vibrant future for themselves, their communities, and our planet.
About the Job
We are seeking a diligent and inspired leader with strong farming, Jewish education, and relationship skills to join Eden Village Camp as our Educational Farm Director.
Our farm is based on permaculture, regenerative and organic ethos. We grow diversified vegetables, flowers, fruit trees and tend to bees, chickens and goats. We use the farm to teach Jewish values to 450 campers a summer.
As part of the Program Team, you will manage the farm staff, the Farm Educator Apprenticeship, camp programs, year-round programming, and farm program curriculum; you will assist the Management team with developing and implementing the ongoing strategy of the farm program. You will work closely with and be trained by the Assistant Director. You will serve as a leader in the Spring, Summer, and Fall communities, working to support our entire staff. In the winter months, you will plan next season's farm, recruit next season's apprentices, and assist the Program Team and Management Team with programs and camper recruitment.
The Educational Farm Director:
- Manages Eden Village’s farm-to-table curriculum
- Manages Eden Village’s 3 acre farm and animal program
- Supervises the seasonal farm educator apprentices and seasonal farm staff
- Focalizes and leads the off-season live-in community at camp in the Spring and Fall
- Oversees the educational programs on the farm, in the summer and during the Spring & Fall
- Lives and works at Eden Village in Putnam Valley, NY (1 hour from NYC)
- Love Jewish Camp! Love Farming! Love Teaching!
- Passionate about Eden Village Camp mission; ability to derive meaning from the work and support the vision
- Experience managing staff in a professional capacity
- Experience training staff in a professional capacity
- Three seasons of farming experience; experience working with livestock (bees, chickens, goats)
- Clear communication and ability to supervise post-college adults and children
- Ability to work alone and be self-guided
- Ability to problem-solve and step into many different roles as needed
- Ability to lift more than 50 pounds
- Ability to sustain long and dynamic days for the growing season and especially during the summer camp period (~10 weeks)
- Experience with nature, farm, garden, or other JOFEE education
- Ability to manage timelines, budgets, and project management administrative tasks
- High levels of curiosity and the desire to take initiative to learn new things
- Capacity to make Eden Village Camp a warm and inviting place to be
- At least 3 years of professional experience and 2-3 seasons of farming experience